11.11.2010

Where are the smoke jumpers when ya need ‘em?

We have had many exciting things happen recently here on Finca Ogawa. Friday, Nati and I went to the hospital to make sure we were healthy! Ha, we're so far from healthcare and we had some alarming symptoms, so we went to get checked out (we're healthy as horses). To continue, Sunday was the worst wind storm I have ever witnessed in the history of my being, Nati found a giant spider (luckily I was snoozing), sparks flew from electrical wires in our home last night, and this morning “the smoke.”
I awoke early this morning, because I’m absolutely feeling wonderful back in my element. In the entire year I’ve been in South America, I haven’t enjoyed a single place more than I’m loving the finca. I love the work, I love the dryness, I love the smells, I love the wild birds, the baby chickens… and the georgous Andes singing in the background. If I were to settle anywhere in Argentina, it would definitely be some little finca right near Finca Ogawa. I’ve never felt so at home, so far away.
As I was saying, I awoke early to jog before sunrise. I could see that it was foggy, and quite cold, but that didn’t stop me. I freaked myself out a little bit because there was a neighbor guy named “Daniel” (I only know that because we had a nice long chat one time while Nati and I were crazily singing and peddling the Finca bikes) creepily walking around in the fog… I envisioned him running after me. As my dad would say, I have quite the imagination! I continued jogging and turned on a road to the left. Pretty soon, I noticed it wasn’t quite so foggy anymore. When I finally turned around, I noticed that the “fog” was completely black… and thought, “hmmm, could that be smoke?” I was thinking of all the reasons there would be smoke. A house fire, perhaps? No, that wouldn’t be that black and that big of a sea… the whole town? Not likely, I thought I’d be able to see flames, and we would be working on putting it out. Then I remembered that yesterday I asked how they get rid of their garbage. They told me that the whole community here puts in into a big pile and when it’s large enough, they burn it. I was almost sure that’s what it was…
When I made it home, I looked down at my newly washed, bright white shirt… which had turned black from the smoke. I looked in the mirror and had black soot all over my face. I showed Nati, and she became worried that the fire was drawing nearer. I was sure it wasn't since I didn't see a single flame... but I said "Darn, where are those smoke jumpers when ya need 'em?" We both had a laugh.
When it was 7, starting time, I asked Tito what was going on with all the smoke. He explained that because it had frosted last night, the vineyard managers had to burn some type of oil to keep the ground from freezing where the newly planted vines were. Ha, I guess it’s true, ya learn somethin new every day!

1 comment: