11.26.2010

Thanksgiving

Eating Thanksgiving  dinner at Finca Ogawa
     One year ago, the day before Thanksgiving, I found out one of my closest friends from college had passed away. She was delightful in every way, and although we hadn’t been in the closest contact, I always knew we’d be good friends during our lifetimes. I remember saying to myself, you only live once, and her death proves that life can be way shorter than you expected… This past year, I’ve wanted to live life in a way that I took on all the opportunities that come to me with open arms.
     I don’t really know where to start except to say that I truly am thankful for being brought up the way I was. Mom and dad, you always pushed me into independence, and taught me so much about finishing what I’ve started and working hard. I am so thankful to have such stable parents, and have had such a stable childhood. I know you guys are always going to be there for me, no matter what I do or decide!
     Sure, I do miss our traditions at home, and being with the family, but mom… you also taught me how to be friendly, and everybody in the world just wants a reason to celebrate, so, naturally I’ve introduced these Argentineans to (and made the Canadians Derek and Lana re-celebrate) Thanksgiving!
     Reflecting back on the year, I remembered telling everyone in lovely, quiet, peaceful, and comfortable McCall, Idaho that I’m going to quit my job and pack my bags for South America. I remember thinking, wow, I must be crazy, should I really do this? I’m leaving a perfectly good job, with great healthcare and benefits for who knows what! I got all sorts of reactions from everyone, but a couple stand out in my mind. Mary and Barb (my lovely coworkers at McCall Memorial Hospital) absolutely encouraged me to embark on the adventure. I know they were worried about me, but I always felt they thought it was a perfect opportunity for me, and have been behind me every step of the way. Also, talking with my dad’s farming partner Tim… he told me, If he could do it all over again, that he’d have left to learn and take advantage his youth in a heartbeat. I’m so thankful for these guys and many many more who encouraged me to take this opportunity. It gave me confidence and courage to actually go through with it.
     When I arrived, I was absolutely lost in the language… It was the hardest part of moving. But so many people here, slowed down, broke it up, and had the patience to go over and over the language with me. I couldn’t be more thankful for all the Spanish speakers who did that for me. They’re wonderful!
     When the earthquake hit… and I saw all of the outpouring love and support spilling into every part of the struggle, I realized, what amazing people there are out there… and it made me thankful that I’m still here and we all lived through it and people do truly care for one another. Thanks to anyone who said a prayer, sent me positive thoughts, or wrote me an email. I am very blessed and thankful to have such amazing support from my friends and family.
     Not only that, looking back on the year… I realize how much Rodrigo’s family has helped me this year. Rodrigo’s mom and dad went through a lot just to make me feel comfortable and safe in this cultural transition. This last year would have been a lot harder if they weren’t so open to the idea of Rodrigo and I being together. I lived with Rodrigo’s grandmother for some time. She was so open and willing to host me, I can’t imagine the struggles I would have had without her… same with the rest of his family. They’re all wonderful, and I think it’s such an honor to get to know such kind hearted, giving people.
Rodrigo pretending like he doesn't
like my kisses!
     And lastly, when I really think about this year… and who I should thank, it’s definitely Rodrigo. He has been by my side through the absolute thickest of things as well as the most amazing moments of my life. I can’t thank him enough for how much he has taught me and how much I have grown. I’ve learned everything from politics to South American history to Spanish (he’s really the person to thank for my progress) to culture. What an amazing journey he’s taken me on… and I couldn’t be more thankful to have found him. Actually, maybe I should just be thankful for Chad Johnson from New Meadows, Idaho… for going to study abroad in Argentina and finding Rodrigo and his friends a job at Brundage.
     Chad, I don’t know you… but you’ve really made this past year an absolute wonder! Just keep being you…
     Here’s what we did to celebrate Thanksgiving on Finca Ogawa!
Roxanna making loafs of bread.
Roxanna getting ready to put the dough in the oven.


Pumpkin (squash) pie!


Lana and Derek watching Roxanna bake the bread.


Baking Bread!

Love this one, this was when we took the chickens
out of the oven.  It was dark, so I just left the shutter
open for about a minute, and this is how it turned
out!
Roasting the Thanksgiving Chickens (Roasted French Chicken)

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for having an independent, adventurous, amazing daughter who literally draws people around the world together. A daughter with an amazing, positive outlook on life; who loves all as though she has never been hurt or disappointed. Dad and I are very proud of you. Although it is hard for us, at times, to accept your choice to be an unemployed wanderer. I often reflect on your years at UMary when you worked so hard to finish your undergrad in three years, while playing softball and a year as an R.A. I remember asking, "Why are you killing yourself, these are the best years of your life." You replied, "I want to get done with school, get a job and get on with my life." I tell myself this is your fourth year of college. You deserve this, even though what comes out of my mouth is, "don't you think you should get a job?" :-) I worry, that is what I do. When I am in "Mom Worry Mode," I tell myself, "At least she is employable." HA! Everything happens the way it does for a reason! Imagine, if you had taken four or five years to finish your undergrad work like a normal person, you would not have met Rodrigo, Andres, Facundo, Mauricio, Gustavo, Guilerme, Rafael, Nacho and Libre. You would not be having this particular amazing adventure. But, knowing you ... it would undoubtedly be another amazing adventure. Love you Mosie Posie!

    ReplyDelete