4.29.2010

Torta de Hojaldre

For Rodrigo's Birthday, his parents and brother came. We had a great time eating way too much food! During the weekend, I wanted to surprise Rodrigo with his favorite cake, Torta de Hojaldre.

He has told me the name a million times, but I can never remember it. So the week before his birthday, I asked his mom to write me the name over our Skype conversation. When we were through chatting, I went to 5 bakeries before I found one that would make it for me. You have to order it in advance, because it's quite difficult to make. Finally this bakery said they could do it, and I said I wanted it by Saturday.

When Saturday rolled around, I came up with an excuse to buy milk for Rodrigo's dad in order to pick up the cake. When I went there, the lady said, "Oh, I'm so sorry, we didn't make it because we didn't have any of your contact information... and we weren't sure you'd show up to pick it up." HA! I had no idea what to do... I was frantic because this cake doesn't exist in the States, and maybe we won't be in Argentina for his birthday the next year... who knows?

The lady pointed me in the direction of another place. I went there, and they said... "No, but maybe across the street." I crossed the street with a prayer! When I made it in there, the ladies could tell I'd been through you know where and back about this issue... they said, "We'll make it for you for tonight!"

I was so relieved! Rodrigo was going to get his cake, and he did. It was so good. This cake is basically 6 layers o
f flaky, flaky pie crust and dulce de leche in between (dulce de leche is kind of like caramel, but has a different texture), covered with chocolate, whip cream, and cherries... yummm! What a nightmere, but I'm so glad it worked out!

Here's a picture of the half eaten cake, it didn't last long at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment