3.18.2010

What you shouldn't do when there's an Earthquake!

On March 11th... at approximately noon, I was in an elevator, conveniently forgetting my cell phone at home, and going up to the 9th floor... for the purpose of finding a job. While I was in there, I started to feel the elevator shake a little, then a little harder. I was thinking, "Geez, they need to tighten some bolts in here or something!" I finally arrived at my destination, stepped out of the elevator, and walked toward the front desk preparing in my head what I was going to say. When I made it to the front desk, it appeared as if they were all having a meeting or something, because they were all gathered around.


I said confidently, "I have a consultation." (which I said in Spanish, and had a dorky kinda nervous smile on my face). Everyone kinda looked at me. Then I started to notice that everyone was looking in the same direction with horrified looks on their faces. The receptionist was digging her nails into another woman's arm, and everyone else around had horrified looks on their faces. After this, I started to feel the floor of the building shaking... I realized it was an Earthquake that I totally missed because I was so concentrated on what I was going to say!



After everyone calmed down a bit... I blurted out my "I have a consultation." Handed them my resume, went to the elevator, pushed the button and entered it appropriately. It shook the whole way down, and by the time I made it to the bottom I thought "Wow, that was a stupid move!"



I made it to the main lobby and everyone had a horrified look on their face.



That day, everyone went home from work early, and I didn't even notice it!



2 major lessons learned...

  • DON'T GET IN AN ELEVATOR WHEN THERE'S AN EARTHQUAKE
  • DON'T FORGET YOUR CELL PHONE, it makes people worry...

1 comment:

  1. ohhh .... girl for god!
    - Is known (Chile is a country of earthquakes) that you should not get on an elevator in case of earthquakes, or in case of fire .....
    - Always, always carry your cell phone with you .....

    not happen again

    with love Sebastian

    ReplyDelete